JAX Pewter Black, 2 ounces
This item does not qualify for Free Shipping promotions. This product can only be shipped UPS Ground to the lower 48 contiguous states. If you have it in your cart, UPS Ground will be your only available shipping method. If you wish to ship other items in your order a different method, remove this product from your cart and place an order for it separately.
- This product creates a chemical reaction with the surface of the metal to produce a dark, black antique finish on pewter. Also effetive on brass, bronze, copper, lead, and tin.
- The black on your metal that results from this product should last much longer than applying a layer of ink or enamel.
- Make sure to clean the surface of your metal before applying the JAX.
- Wear gloves and eye protection.
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- JAX products never expire, however, they can deteriorate over time if not cared for properly.
- Always store JAX products at room temperature, in tightly closed containers, away from children and pets.
Here is a link to the MSDS sheet for JAX Pewter Black.
Click here to see more JAX products.
Instructions for use:
- Apply the solution to metal with a brush or Q-tip.
- When desired color is achieved, rinse the brush and metal piece in a baking soda bath (approx. 1 part baking soda to 10 parts water).
- If you are going to dip your metal into JAX Pewter Black, you may want to dilute the JAX with water; this will slow the reaction down and allow you to have more control over the finish (there is no magic dilution ratio – a little experimentation will allow you to arrive at the optimum ratio for your work).
- If you choose the dipping method, use a small plastic container with a lid. Pour some of the solution (and a bit of water if desired) into the container, dip your metal until you get the desired effect. Remove the metal and wash it in the baking soda bath. Leave the solution in the new plastic container (don't pour it back into the original packaging) and label it appropriately.
- Dry and polish your metal using your polishing method of choice (Pro Polish Pads, Steel Wool etc).
- When you dispose of used JAX products, do so in an approved waste disposal facility.
Working with Jax Blackening Solutions
loading the player....
I used this product today on copper and it was a dream! It is clean, easy to apply and works quickly. No more liver of sulfur for me!
This stuff is amazing! I grab a q-tip and wipe it on and instantly get a beautifully oxidized piece of metal!
I love to use this on my pewter. Colors in very easily! I like that it reacts with the metal and doesn't just leave a coat of color.