JAX Aluminum Blackener, 2 ounces
This product can only be shipped UPS Ground to the lower 48 contiguous states. If you have it in your cart, UPS Ground will be your only available shipping method. If you wish to ship other items in your order a different method, remove this product from your cart and place an order for it separately.
- This product creates a chemical reaction with the surface of the metal to produce a dark, black antique finish on Aluminum
- The black on your metal that results from this product should last much longer than applying a layer of ink or enamel.
- Make sure to clean the surface of your metal before applying the JAX.
- Do not dilute JAX Aluminum Blackener.
- Wear gloves and eye protection.
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- JAX products never expire, however, they can deteriorate over time if not cared for properly.
- Always store JAX products at room temperature, in tightly closed containers, away from children and pets.
Here is a link to the MSDS sheet for JAX Aluminum Blackener.
Click here to see more JAX products.
Instructions for use:
- In order for this blackener to work, you need to break through the top "skin" (think of it like a layer of aluminum oxides) of the metal. Stamping usually does this or you can buff the surface with steel wool or fine sand paper.
- Apply the solution to metal with a brush or Q-tip.
- When desired color is achieved, rinse the brush and metal piece in a baking soda bath (approx. 1 part baking soda to 10 parts water).
- If you prefer to dip your metal into the solution, use a small plastic container with a lid. Pour some of the solution into the container, dip your metal until you get the desired effect. Remove the metal and wash it in the baking soda bath. Leave the solution in the new plastic container (don't pour it back into the original packaging) and label it appropriately.
- Dry and polish your metal using your polishing method of choice (Pro Polish Pads, Steel Wool etc).
- When you dispose of used JAX products, do so in an approved waste disposal facility.
Working with Jax Blackening Solutions
loading the player....
So far so good! I like the ease of application and am pleased with the darkening on this. I like the fact that it changes the metal, doesn't just coat it, leaving it with the potential to "rub" off like the permanent marker and paint pens!!
Once I heated the clean stamped blank worked so well
I do like this product but it is not as consistent as the Pewter JAX or Silver JAX. It takes a little more effort for the chemical change.
ordered this when they were on sale still haven't tried will up date later
I love the effect this had on my aluminum dog tags. I needed something more permanent since my items go on dogs, plus their adventurous humans, and Jax had a really neat antiquing effect I loved. Highly recommend.
Works pretty good once you get the hang of using it, takes practice and patience I tend to reach for my sharpie more often than the jax.